Saturday, November 19, 2011

skillet baked ziti

adapted from America's Test Kitchen with changes by Gina and Amy

1 Tbsp olive oil
6 cloves crushed garlic
red pepper flakes
1 28 oz can crushed tomatos
3 cups water
12 oz penne or ziti
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup parm cheese
fresh basil
salt
pepper
grated mozz cheese.

In a cold 12 inch skillet add oil and garlic -- cook garlic on med low until foamy and fragrant. Add tomatoes (I had whole tomatos so I cut them up and added about 1 tablspoon of sundried tomato paste)..Add water and pasta and a little salt(I used shell pasta and cut the water back to 2 1/2 cups -- there was too much liquid -- most likely because I didn't use crushed tomatos). Cover and simmer until pasta is al dente 10 min more or less.

uncover -- if it's really soupy (see note above) ladle out some of the excess liquid. Add cream and stir in parm cheese. slice basil thinly and stir in. add pepper. If skillet is oven proof -- put in oven at 475 degrees until cheese is melty and brown (10 min?). Remove and let stand for a few min -- My skillet isn't oven proof, so I put it in a greased 9 x 11 pan and put in oven.

Very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment